The full name of Dr John was Malcolm John Rebennack. He was born on November 20, 1941, and he recently dies on June 6, 2019. He was a rock star musician and his music was the combination of blues, pop and jazz etc.
He was an active musician and songwriter from 1950 to till his death. He gained fame among the audience after releasing his album Gris-Gris in 1960. He had recorded 32 studio albums along with 6 live albums. Moreover, he has also contributed a lot in the recordings of other musicians. Another interesting fact about him is that he was the winner of six Grammy awards. Due to his impressive work in the field of fine arts, he was given an honorary degree of doctorate of fine arts from a famous university named Tulane University.
Some unknown facts about Dr John are explained below;
- Dr John nearly losing his finger while changing the instrument: Prior to a show, Dr John was changing his instrument and the left ring finger of Dr John’s hand was completely off. He was able to save his finger in emergency treatment. After that, he had faced lots of difficulties to feet a guitar. Anyhow, he was able to give better concentration on the piano and organ.
- Dr John’s first gig was as a model: The mother of Dr John was a famous model. Therefore, he started the career of her son as a model. First of all, he has got his face on the boxes of the Ivory Soap. Later on, he entered into the field of music and he had left the modelling.
- Dr John won the first ever blues music award Dr John was nominated for the Grammy awards for the dozens of times but he succeeded to win only six Grammy awards. The first Blues music award was won by the Professor Crawfish Fiesta with the help of the contribution of Dr John because he had played the guitar.
- The Katrina aftermath: In his last days, he was relocated to the New York but he had spent most of his life in his beloved hometown, Hurricane Katrina. The politicians didn’t show their concern for the development of this hometown. That’s why he was angry with the politicians.
- Dr John was part of the wall of sound: When he arrived in the Loss Angeles for some time, he has become a member of the Wall of the sound. Nowadays, this band is known with the name of ‘The Wrecking Crew’.
- Wild Times as the Night Tripper: While performing as the Night Tripper, the shows of Dr John were at the top. Its reason was that he had performed some amazing characters. Sometimes, he appeared on the stage in a puff of smoke and sometimes, he appeared on the stage with beads.
- Dr John is still the youngest A&R record man in history: It is the record of Dr John that he had written his first the song just at the age of 14. On the other hand, another legend of the music industry, Professor Longhair had written his first song at the age of 16.